Thursday, June 4, 2009

Dan's Hand

My thanks to friends and acquaintances for their sympathy and concern. On 5/12, secure in my supposed status as a master woodworker, I let a wonky piece of corrugated cardboard kick back and whack my right hand into a 10" table saw blade. This resulted in another exciting ride (Peggy piloting) to yet another emergency room and a session in the operating room. The blade bit into 3 fingers running parallel to their length starting at the tips. My pointing finger took the worst cut, going down to the 2nd knuckle. Middle finger was down to 1st knuckle and ring finger just a nick.

I had the last of the stitches out last Friday and while it looks like I'm going to have mighty ugly fingertips, I'm hoping to eventually get back full mobility. Right now they itch, hurt when bumped, and are still swollen. However, I can clench them all the way with some effort, and am walking around with a foam ball trying to rehab.

8/7/09 UPDATE

Just back from therapy at the VA Hospital & all seems to be going well. Got a couple of therapeutic toys to play with. I'm always thrilled to get "freebies" from the hospital, like when you get to take home the cheap mustard yellow washing pan and pitcher after a hospital stay. According to to the various medicos, all is progressing well.

No comments: